[CMake] mingw vs MSYS makefiles

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:20:29 EST 2012

I have MinGW installed in my system and today I added the bin directory
to the path, so I was able to
run all the commands also from a standard shell.

But now CMake complains:

  CMake Error at c:/Program Files/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeMinGWFindMake.cmake:20 (MESSAGE):
   sh.exe was found in your PATH, here:

   C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/sh.exe

   For MinGW make to work correctly sh.exe must NOT be in your path.

   Run cmake from a shell that does not have sh.exe in your PATH.

   If you want to use a UNIX shell, then use MSYS Makefiles.

So well I thought I could just use the MSYS Makefiles instead, but
reconfiguring and with the same target that doesn't work:

Scanning dependencies of target cleanup_system
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, /c/python25/python.exe
h:/git_projs/PSI_Hamburg/utils/utils/bin/clean_global.py, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
epd-make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/cleanup_system] Error 2
epd-make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/cleanup_system.dir/all] Error 2
epd-make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/run_as_user.dir/rule] Error 2
epd-make: *** [run_as_user] Error 2

Does it mean that I have something which is not portable in my CMakeLists?

The solution might be remove the MinGW bin from the path of course, but
I would lose the nice commands from each shell
and I would also like to understand what is going on..

Thanks,
Andrea