[CMake] Building and executing tests when building updated libraries

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 13:27:55 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm using Visual Studio as my generator for my CMake projects. As of right
now, I make my tests depend on the libraries they test. So for example,
tests named:

test_thingA
test_thingB

will all depend on library:

libfoo.lib

When I build target "libfoo" in visual studio, it would be nice to have all
dependent tests build as well, and have them each execute.

The goal for all of this is to make it as convenient as possible for
developers on my team to RUN TESTS on their code before they submit to
version control. I want to make it automated, so when they rebuild the
library, the testing automatically happens. I'd also obviously create an
option in cmake cache to turn this automation off should it become too
annoying.

If this isn't a good idea, can someone recommend a good workflow for
running tests locally prior to checking in source code?

---------
Robert Dailey