[CMake] Copying Files into build-dir under Visual Studio vs. Codeblocks/Win32 vs. Codeblocks/Linux

aaron.meadows at thomsonreuters.com aaron.meadows at thomsonreuters.com
Fri Feb 10 09:22:29 EST 2012

(Wow, Eric, I didn't know about CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR!  Seems like you are teaching me all kinds of things this week...)

It sounds like what you are missing is having the command executed by Visual Studio, so it can do the substitution of the $(Configuration) variable, which is why you need to use the add_custom_command() function.

As a side note, I've had to deal with this problem before and have handled it in a couple of different ways, depending on what I was trying to accomplish:

  1) Finding DLLs -- for UnitTests that are run automatically, I write scripts ahead of time into directories for each configuration type which append the paths where various 3rd Party DLLs are stored, then execute those scripts as part of a post build event to run the UnitTest.

  2) Test Data -- I use one of two methods:

    a) Copy all the data into each of the configuration directories ahead of time (by iteration over CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES).  This saves needing to copy the identical file from a source data directory to a binary directory over and over each time I build.

    b) I change the executable so I can pass it a data directory to read from.  This saves making many copies of identical data for each different configuration type.

Hope that helps!

Aaron Meadows