[CMake] Copying Files into build-dir under Visual Studio vs. Codeblocks/Win32 vs. Codeblocks/Linux

Stefan Fendt stefan at sfendt.de
Fri Feb 10 02:42:22 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm (still) quite unsure if this isn't an FAQ (or if not maybe should be
one), but I have read through everything I could google-up regarding
this topic and found nothing usable...

I'm writing an x-platform-project which will be compiled using different
compilers and or under different systems... for this project I am
required to move some files from some location (source/data) into the
build-directory. Whileas this works under Linux/Codeblocks/GCC as well
as Windows/Codeblocks/MinGW it doesn't for Visual Studio... Under Visual
Studio the files always are copied to some directory-location directly
above the actual binary-directory.

I've tried using ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY} and it copies the files to the
marked position:

build/                        <--- copies  into this directory
build/Debug
build/Release
build/source

After that I tried to do it with GET_TARGET_PROPERTY(... PROPERTY
LOCATION). I then get something like this...

'build/$(Configuration)'

...which of course doesn't solve the problem, too... because the
configuration under Visual Studio is only known after CMake-Generation
of the solution and running the compiler...

So, what is the suggested method of (if you can't avoid it) copying
files from anywhere into the build-directory, which is as compiler
agnostic as possible..?

best regards,
Stefan