[CMake] Default Generator to use

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 04:18:02 EST 2012

2012/2/7 Sarnath K - ERS, HCLTech <k_sarnath at hcl.com>:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6430251/what-is-the-default-generator-for-cmake-in-windows
>
> In the stack overflow list, one guy mentions about "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\"
> Is this the same thing as the "AutoConfigure" thing that you were mentioning?

Yes it is.

> What should I set here? Pardon my ignorance.....

You shouldn't set anything here because it is set by the Visual Studio
installer.
CMake is only **reading** it in order to guess the latest VS installed.

The comment on Stack Overflow is right:

"For posterity: there is an entry in the CMake mailing list that
addresses this issue. To change the default generator, it seems you
need to either modify the CMake source and recompile or write a small
batch file that adds the -G option to substitute the generator when
none is specified. – André Caron"

the refered ML message is:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg18033.html
--