[CMake] Getting started with CMake

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:00:55 EDT 2012

2012/8/24 Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get up and running with CMake for a project I'm working
> on. The online documentation seems to describe how to write the
> script/configuration files; I'm trying to first get my head around a
> more basic overview.

There several CMake tutorials out there,
see: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake#Tutorials

This one:
https://github.com/TheErk/CMake-tutorial

contains basic example and command line indication as well.

> Suppose I have a minimal project called foo, that just consists of a
> single C++ source file, foo.cc. I write the code and put something or
> other in a source distribution file called foo-1.0.tgz. A potential
> user downloads this to a plain-vanilla Linux box. At this stage, the
> user expects to type:
>
> tar xzf foo-1.0.tgz
> cd foo-1.0
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> And end up with a binary:
>
> /usr/local/bin/foo
>
> How does this work with a CMake project?

Alex did answer that one already.
You may find some relatively generic example here as well
http://www.nongnu.org/certi/certi_doc/Install/html/build.html

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org