[CMake] Getting started with CMake

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:22:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to get up and running with CMake for a project I'm working
on. The online documentation seems to describe how to write the
script/configuration files; I'm trying to first get my head around a
more basic overview.

Suppose I have a minimal project called foo, that just consists of a
single C++ source file, foo.cc. I write the code and put something or
other in a source distribution file called foo-1.0.tgz. A potential
user downloads this to a plain-vanilla Linux box. At this stage, the
user expects to type:

tar xzf foo-1.0.tgz
cd foo-1.0
./configure
make
sudo make install

And end up with a binary:

/usr/local/bin/foo

How does this work with a CMake project?