[CMake] Setting CTEST_BUILD_NAME from cmake config

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Aug 24 09:24:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Leif Walsh <leif.walsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I set the build name and site in my CMakeLists.txt before calling
> include(CTest) and it works.

But then you can only submit dashboards from one site with that CMakeLists
file...? Anybody else submitting a dashboard for your project will pick up
the same site and build names.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 24, 2012, at 9:01, Michele Dolfi <dolfimeth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I started using CMake, CTest and CDash, with the simple targets Nightly,
> Continuous and Experimental: it works very well.
> > Now I would like to divide my project in subproject, so that a failure
> in compiling one small test is not affecting the full dashboard report. I
> read that ctest driver files are the way to go.
> >
> > I quickly realized that include(CTest) was automatically setting many
> variables that are not there in a ctest driver script, i.e. CTEST_SITE,
> CTEST_BUILD_NAME. Specially for the latter one, I go used to tune the
> default naming, by looking at my cmake options and some library info (e.g.
> Boost version).
> >
> > In the ctest script I use ctest_empty_binary_directory(), and I create a
> basic CMakeCache.txt to start the ctest_configure() afterwards. How can I
> read cmake options before ctest_start() (at this point I need BUILDNAME to
> be set!).

You should set those variables in the ctest -S script. A ctest -S script is
typically coupled to the specific machine and build that it represents, so
it's the right place to set those variables.