[CMake] cmake-gui's separation between configuration & generation

Robert Dailey rcdailey.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:36:35 EDT 2012

Is the separation between configuration & generation really necessary
for cmake-gui? I ask because several of my co-workers are confused
between the differences in the two, even though I explain it.

Honestly there isn't really a reason that I can think of to do a
configure without a generate, unless you're testing the integrity of
your CMake script changes maybe, but even then, if its broken
generation won't take place.

The command line program does not separate the two, so I simply think
cmake-gui should eliminate the configure button, and simply have a
generate button. Does this seem fair? Is there a reason why they are
separated?