[CMake] how to build cmake with mingw and msys?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Aug 14 20:54:14 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-14 09:17-0400 LM wrote:

> I built and used cmake on DeLi Linux with no issues, but every time I
> try it on Windows, I seem to have problems.  My latest attempt, I just
> downloaded version 2.8.9.  I'm using mingw (gcc 4.6.2) and msys.  From
> within msys, I tried running ./bootstrap --system-libs --system-zlib
> --system-bzip2 --system-libarchive --system-curl --no-qt-gui
> --prefix=/usr/local --docdir=/usr/local/share/doc/CMake
> --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --verbose
> It errors out [...]

I have never tried the bootstrap method on MinGW/MSYS, but I have
tried using a downloaded Windows binary version of CMake to build
cmake on Wine (the free in both senses Windows platform), and that
normally works well. Obviously, such a build is sort of pointless if
you have already downloaded a binary version of CMake, but I did this
exercise to confirm the combination of CMake and MinGW/MSYS worked
well on the Wine platform. And then I tested that built version of
CMake by using it to build CMake again plus other software.

So if the other suggestion that people have made don't solve your
problem, you might want to try this exercise yourself to confirm the
combination of CMake, MinGW, and proprietary Windows is working well
for you for a build of fairly complicated software (CMake).  If that
exercise works, that should help to eliminate some mundane
possibilities (bad MinGW or MSYS, incorrect PATH setup, build or
source directory has spaces in the name, etc.) for what is going wrong
for you when you try the bootstrap method of building CMake under
MinGW/MSYS.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin