[CMake] Windows: Finding stdint.h header succeeds, but finding int8_t type fails

Aaron Smith gngrwzrd.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:14:34 EDT 2012

Hey All,

First off I'm loving cmake, This thing makes my life so easy. Thank you!

I'm working on porting some code to Windows at the moment. I'm putting in
configure checks for stdint.h and it's types. The strange thing is that
finding the header works, but then finding the type fails.

check_include_file(stdint.h HAVE_STDINT_H) - works
check_type_size(int8_t HAVE_int8_t) - fails
check_symbol_exists(int8_t stdint.h HAVE_int8_t) - fails

I'm looking at stdint.h in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
11\VC\include\stdint.h and it clearly defines int8_t:

typedef signed char        int8_t;

I've also tried running cmake-gui from the commandline and first setting:
>set CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
11\VC\include\
>cmake-gui

What am I missing? Windows is certainly strange but there has to be a way
to get cmake finding it correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!