[CMake] CMake 2.8.8 : Reproducible Crash in Mac OS X 10.8

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Aug 10 14:52:12 EDT 2012

On 8/10/2012 2:30 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I am going to be *very* pedantic here so you may slap me upside the
head. The compiler was never "just there" on OS X. It has *always*
required the installation of the developer tools. With 10.8 it would
seem that installing "Xcode" is not enough to get the command line tools
any more. The developer now needs to know to also install the "Command
Line Tools" in addition (or in leau of*) Xcode.

We never printed a special warning when Xcode was not installed in the
past?  Why now?

> About the best CMake-Gui could do is detect you are on OS X 10.8 or
greater and ask the developer if they have in fact installed the command
line tools or used Xcode-select (or what ever it is) to select the
proper version of Xcode. Beyond that we are getting to the point that
Windows is at where one is expected to have a fully functioning Visual
Studio Command Prompt for CMake to generate Visual Studio Projects. A
pain yes, but a fact of life.

cmake-gui to date has no platform specific code in it...  We could have
the check for compiler on the mac complain.  I think we might do that
with nmake on windows...

> * There is actually a separate download for the command line tools
that it looks like it could be installed without Xcode though I have not
actually tried this myself.

Sure there is, and the word on the web for all other people wanting this
compiler is to do just that.  A quick google search shows this:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/install_the_command_line_c_compilers_in_os_x_lion/

http://technopracticum.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/installing-a-command-line-c-compiler-for-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

http://superuser.com/questions/400179/gcc-on-os-x-lion-with-xcode-4-3-1

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10002981/g-wont-work-on-lion

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48099/gcc-not-found-but-xcode-is-installed

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9329243/xcode-4-4-command-line-tools

http://www.quora.com/Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion/What-is-the-path-for-gcc-in-Mac-OS-X-Lion

Basically, where did gcc go?  You need to install the command line
tools...  Seems to be the question and answer spinning around the web.
This was a HUGE change by Apple to make the command line tools not
install by default with Xcode.  That is my opinion and I stand by it.. :)

-Bill