[CMake] cpack and paths too long

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:38:34 EDT 2012

On 04/23/2012 01:32 PM, David Cole wrote:
> You should just get used to using shorter paths on the embarrassing OS.
>
> This is an early warning sign for you that your end users will also
> encounter these problems as they install your program on their systems
> in "non-short" root paths...
>
> You can ignore it if you wish, but the fact remains that Windows STILL
> has many components in it that rely on full path names of ALL files
> being less than 260 characters.
>
> They do support longer file names, but there are still many legacy
> tools where the limit exists.
>

> HTH,
> David

I agree with you, unfortunately I'm not the person that has to use
smaller paths, just writing the build system..
And good point about the installed application, I think I can assume
however that if the CPack works also
the installed application should work, because it doesn't have the ~20
chars needed for CPacking (but of course
depends on where it will be installed).

So well the only way is to make really sure there are no long paths
around then :(