[CMake] Cross-compilation on Linux targeting Windows

Clifford Yapp cliffyapp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:33:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM, hendrik <hendrik at localhost> wrote:

> Linux can automatically call wine for windows executables if you make them
> executable (+x).
> In Debian, it is enabled using this package:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/binfmt-support

Interesting - I'll have to see if Gentoo offers something similar.

> OTOH, your tests may not show the desired result as you test the program
> behaviour in wine, not Windows.

True... but perhaps, with luck, wine + the mingw packages + a good
toolchain file would be "close enough" to get a compile that would
work on Windows.  A lot of what we need to do when we run programs is
generate source code, run tcl shell, and other things that (in
principle) shouldn't need to care what OS they are on.

The only other fully "open source" option I can think of would be to
try using ReactOS - has anyone ever successfully built binaries on
ReactOS and then deployed them on Windows?

Cheers,
CY