[CMake] Building CMake for HP NonStop

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 3 17:17:12 EDT 2012

On 4/3/2012 2:23 PM, Mike Clapper wrote:
 > I am trying to bootstrap CMake-2.8.7 to HP NonStop using the OSS
 > environment.  The environment provided by OSS is very similar to Linux
 > and Unix.  The underlying hardware is IA64.

Thanks for working on the port.  We'll be happy to take fixes upstream.

After that please consider submitting a nightly build to our dashborad:

   http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=CMake

so we can keep it working.

> For example - I have fixed these errors by modifying
> "cmake-2.8.7/Utilities/cmIML/ABI.h"

Please consider basing your work on CMake from Git upstream:

  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git

That will make them much easier to integrate and may save you work
if similar changes have already been made.

 > - I include the compiler define for
> the NonStop in the '#ifdef' statements - but the changes do not persist
> if bootstap is re-run, leading me to believe there is a location in the
> source tree where the mods need to be made for this to be a proper port...

The file is configured from Utilities/KWIML/ABI.h.in.

There are a lot of .in files in Source/kwsys and Utilities/KWIML.
Both of those directories are designed to be integrated into the
source trees of multiple projects.  To avoid conflicts they
configure the symbol namespaces and prefixes.

The easiest way to know which files are real sources and which are
generated is to do an out-of-source build.  Use a fresh source tree
and run

  $ mkdir cmake-build && cd cmake-build
  $ ../cmake-src/bootstrap
  $ make

Then be sure to edit only files in the source tree since all files
in the build tree are derived.

-Brad