[CMake] question about Eclipse CDT Generators

cheshirekow cheshirekow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:53:23 EDT 2011

Hi cmake list,

I'm using cmake to manage a CUDA project, and I'm generating an eclipse
project for development.

Since CDT doesn't natively understand the output from the nvidia
compiler, I've created a new regex error parser (I'm using eclipse 3.7
but I heard 3.6 has this ability as well), however, in the project
generated by cmake, I cannot add this error parser. It does not appear
in the list of check boxes. I'm trying to figure out why.

I've tried creating a new C/C++ makefile project, and my custom error
parser does appear in there. I compared the .project and .cproject files
from both the cmake generated project and the dummy makefile project
from the CDT new project wizard. They look very different. In addition,
when I look at the project properties dialog for the cmake generated
project, the options available are different then one from an eclipse
wizard generated project. They are:

C/C++ General
C/C++ Include Paths and Symbols
C/C++ Make Project
C/C++ Project Paths

Whereas, when using the new project wizard from CDT I get

C/C++ Build
C/C++ General

In the cmake generated project, error parsers are listed under C/C++
Make Project. In the eclipse generated project, error parsers are listed
under C/C++ Build->settings.

Does anyone understand why the cmake generated project is different from
the eclipse generated project? Is it because cmake is generating project
files for an older version of CDT? Is there a way to make it the same
and use my custom parser?