[CMake] novice question: modification of FLAGS rule variable?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Sep 5 14:53:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, David Dunkle <ddunkle at arxan.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to read and to set a property/rule variable like <FLAGS>?
> What syntax would I use to do that? I mean <FLAGS> as it, for example,
> appears here:
>

> set(CMAKE_C_COMPILE_OBJECT "${target_compiler} -c <FLAGS> -o <OBJECT>")
>

> For example can I do something like this (this is pseudo code)?
>

> #read
>
> set(MY_FLAGS,  ${<FLAGS>} );
>

> #set
>
> set(<FLAGS>, ${MY_FLAGS});
>

> In the documentation, here:
>

> http://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables#Expansion_Rules
>

> it hints at this being possible but doesn’t explain, at least not so that I
> understand.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -David

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

The wiki page is simply misleading. You cannot set those from the
CMake language. CMake decides on their values in internal code, and
then substitutes appropriately when generating make files or
solution/project files for the build system.

You can set things the "CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS" which eventually get
translated into the substitution that CMake performs, but you cannot
alter "<FLAGS>" in the rules variables.

HTH,
David