[CMake] Status of FindHDF5.cmake in CMake?

J.S. van Bethlehem j.s.van.bethlehem at astro.rug.nl
Tue May 17 03:46:57 EDT 2011

Hej Will,
I'm not sure if this is the proper way to reply and I haven't checked
your second mail with the attachment. But I think in #3 you're
definitely doing something wrong. It took me quite a while to figure
out, because the documentation is rather sparse, but whenever there is a
hdf5-config.cmake file, you should not read that from a Find*.cmake
file. Whenever there is such a file present, what should happen is that
CMake finds it and reads it and that's that.
Even more precise: whenever a user writes find_package(HDF5) and the
hdf5-config.cmake exists, CMake will read that file and will NOT go look
for FindHDF5.cmake. The hdf5-config.cmake should then explicitly set all
the (cached) variables you normally would have to 'calculate' in the
FindHDF5.cmake file.
So to be short: the FindHDF5.cmake file should never be required to look
for hdf5-config.cmake - CMake should be left to be the one to do that.
The HDF5 installer should be the one that installs the hdf5-config.cmake
into for example <prefix>/share/HDF5/cmake or some similar path (look
for documentation of find_package for possible locations where CMake
will look)

But again: I haven't read the actual file you created :P Maybe I'm
overlooking some details of this particular package.

Greetsz,
Jakob