[CMake] Changing installation prefix triggers re-linking of all libraries

Pere Mato Vila Pere.Mato at cern.ch
Thu May 5 11:14:10 EDT 2011

> If I understand correctly, it's this second point which causes your
> astonishment, but it already happens during the build phase in the
> build tree, not just when installing with "make install", right?

Yes,  this is indeed my astonishment. I understand that for 'normal' projects this re-link in the build tree will be almost unnoticeable. Unfortunately in our project we build at least one executable using these libraries that is a code generator and therefore all generated code for many other libraries gets regenerated, re-compiled and re-linked. It is a major re-build just for changing the length of the installation directory. So, I see that the only solution I have is to avoid using CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH. Thanks very much for your explanations.
Regards,

Pere