[CMake] unexpected INSTALL problems

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 15 07:58:12 EDT 2011

I am trying to copy all libboost* stuff from /usr/lib to
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX just as most users would guess:

INSTALL(DIRECTORY ${BOOST_RUNTIME_DIR}/ DESTINATION
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin FILES_MATCHING .......)

Whatever I specify for matching I always get half of my system copied
instead of the requested files. E.g.

PATTERN "libboost*.so" does absolutely nothing and REGEX
"libboost.*\.so.*$" complains about the slash, when removed does
nothing either. As a result all content is always copied.

Interestingly and confusingly, the same thing (only used PATTERN)
works for e.g. "*.h". What is special here?

Are there any examples how to use this functionality? Both the
documentation and the FAQ are not very comprehensive in this matter.

Thanks and regards,
Dominik