[CMake] libcrypto.so.6 library needed for cmake on Ubuntu 8.04

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 06:54:12 EDT 2011

2011/7/15 Neil Higgins <higgins-demack at bigpond.com>:
> I couldn't see anything on the CMake site that looked like an installable
> package, so ...

Yes there is
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
see "Binary distributions: "

e.g.
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.5-Linux-i386.tar.gz

> Following a search, I downloaded an RPM file and installed that with Alien.
> Evidently that package was built from a different tree (or something - I'm
> not an expert at this type of thing).

This kind of method may work "by accident" but usually it does not
work as expected.

> The problem is solved - I subsequently removed that package and successfully
> installed a Debian package (cmake 2.8.4), although I first had to resolve a
> lot of dependencies.

You shouldn't have to resolve dependencies if you use
the appropriate package management software:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/package-management.html

appropriate meaning: "the one coming with your distribution".
CMake is now widespread such that almost any Linux distro should
have cmake package somewhere.

That said be aware that Ubuntu 8.04 is a relatively old distribution
(April 2008) if you have the choice you should consider an upgrade,
see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

> Thanks for your help, Eric.

You are welcome.

--