[CMake] Cannot run/debug cmake project with MSVC 2010 which works well in Linux

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Jan 25 06:47:41 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Srimal Jayawardena <srimalj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the advise.

You're welcome. Please include the CMake mailing list on all your
replies so that: (1) others may jump in and help in case I can't reply
to a particular email in a timely manner and (2) others may benefit
from the archived replies. (Thanks...)

> [...]
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\glu32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\lpk.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\usp10.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos
> Anti-Virus\sophos_detoured.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll'
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded
> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll',
> Cannot find or open the PDB file
> 'textureBackprojection.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll'

These "Cannot find or open the PDB file" messages are just
informational messages that tell you you don't have the debugging
files for Windows itself installed. This is normal -- most people see
this. You'll get used to this after a little while. (You could have
figured this one out pretty easily just googling for the phrase
"Cannot find or open the PDB file")

> The program '[4940] textureBackprojection.exe: Native' has exited with
> code 1 (0x1).

This line means your "main" returned "1" (or some code you called did
an "exit(1);" ... )

> (Btw can we set the startup project  automatically by setting an
> option in the CMakeList.txt file?)

No, net yet. People have asked for this feature, but we have not
figured out a good way to do it yet.

> Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

Cheers,
David

> Srimal
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:18 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Right click on "textureBackProjection" and choose "Set as StartUp
>> Project" -- after that, F5 will launch the executable for that
>> project.
>>
>> If you are receiving error messages at launch after doing that, then
>> please send them along so we can help you get further along...
>>

>> HTH,
>> David
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Srimal Jayawardena <srimalj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thanks for the wonderful tool.
>>>
>>> I'm fairly new to cmake and had this problem.
>>>
>>> I'm using cmake 2.8.3 and my code builds and runs well in Linux but
>>> has the following problems in MS Visual Studio 2010 (Express) in
>>> Windows XP.
>>>
>>> I cant run/debug the project by pressing (F5) although it does build
>>> solution (F7) works without errors.
>>>
>>> When I try to run/debug it seems to try to run a program called
>>> 'ALL_BUILD) (which doesnt exisit).
>>>
>>> Also I see three projects in my solution :
>>>
>>> - 'ALL_BUILDS',
>>> -  'textureBackProjection' (this is the correct executable file
>>> mentioend in the CMakeLists.txt and
>>> - 'ZERO_CHECK'
>>>
>>> ALL_BUILDS is set as the start up project.
>>>
>>> If can change the start up project to 'textureBackProjection' by right
>>> clicking pressing F5 to run/debug complains of a whole load of missing
>>> PDB files for some windows dll files.
>>>
>>> However, the executable is built as textureBackProjection.exe and this
>>> runs OK  when clicked outside of MSVC.
>>> Have I done something wrong that it won't run/debug inside Visual Studio 2010?.
>>>
>>> Here is my simple CMakeLists.txt file:
>>>
>>> # CMakeLists.txt - Uses Cmake to make cross platform builds
>>> # Srimal wrote this on  24/01/2011
>>> cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6)
>>> project (TEXMAP)
>>> INCLUDE (CheckIncludeFiles)
>>>
>>> #Set flags to include platform specific header files
>>> CHECK_INCLUDE_FILES (stdafx.h HAVE_STDAFX_H)
>>> CHECK_INCLUDE_FILES (windows.h HAVE_WINDOWS_H)

>>> http://srimal.sri-lankan.net/