[CMake] How to retrieve the property list dynamically?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jan 24 11:52:05 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM, SF Markus Elfring <
elfring at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> There are links to the "well known by CMake" properties that exist on
>> various
>> entities: global, directories, targets, tests, files, cache variables.
>>

> I have not overlooked the description for them.
>
> I guess that these properties were extended during CMake history. I do not
> want to convert this part of the documentation into a separate data base for
> the support of enhanced queries. I would appreciate if the CMake programming
> interface can provide sophisticated introspection capabilities directly.
>

>  However, the property mechanism allows project-specific extension of the
>> set of
>> properties on many of these entities. So these lists are incomplete.
>>

> How can such extensions be dynamically listed?

At present, they cannot be dynamically listed. Having that capability would
be a good idea, but it's not there yet.

>  Is there a concrete problem you are trying to solve by asking these
>> questions?
>>

> Yes, of course. - My feature request is mostly for debugging purposes.
>
> If there are problems or unexpected results for a target, I would like to
> know exactly which variables and properties were active in the affected
> situation.

OK, great. Let us know if you do run into something specific. Lots of people
here already have techniques that they use to solve specific problems......