[CMake] Restrictions on where a binary can be put?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 21 02:47:29 EST 2011

On 21.01.11 01:37:41, Michael Hertling wrote:
> So, what's your conclusion in this matter? Should the behavior in
> question be considered as a bug or is it alright? IMO, such a subtle
> side effect of a read operation on a subsequent write operation is at
> least highly surprising. Besides, does one have to take this phenomenon
> into account elsewhere, i.e. when saying
>
> GET_TARGET_PROPERTY(<VAR> <TARGET> X)
> SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(<TARGET> PROPERTIES Y ...)
>
> with X!=LOCATION and Y!=RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, is it assured that
> the latter command works as expected? Are directory or source files
> properties possibly affected, too?

Check the bugreport I mentioned further up in the thread. The docs have
been expanded to mention this problem with LOCATION and
RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY. As far as I understood Brad in the report its
unique to those properties defining where a target ends up on disk (and
how). And indeed (as he said also) changing the output directory _after_
querying it (via LOCATION) hints towards a bug in your cmake code, after
all whatever you did with LOCATION is void if you change the output
directory again and you'd have to re-run that code.

Andreas

--
Don't read everything you believe.