[CMake] CMake, CUDA, VS build issues

Ryan Pavlik rpavlik at iastate.edu
Sat Jan 15 21:56:22 EST 2011

I'm actually pretty sure that it is expected behavior for the CUDA system in
Visual Studio - look in the documentation for the findcuda.cmake file to
double check.  It has something to do with the multi-step, multi-target
compilation process. It does seem rather strange, but I recall seeing an
explanation that made it make sense to me.

Ryan

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Patrick Charrier <
patrick.charrier at igd.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing some (random) reloading of VS-project files and
> rebuilding when using the combination of CMake, Visual Studio and CUDA.
>
> Particularly when performing the following steps.
> 1. Project has been built before.
> 2. Perform an SVN update.
> 3. Start CMake. Configure and Generate.
> 4. Open the generated VS Solution.
> 5. Build in Debug Mode. (Or Rebuild All.)
> 6. Build in Release Mode. (Or Rebuild All.)
>
> After Point 6 the fun part starts.
> 7. At this point VS runs CMake Configuration and Generation. Why this in
> the first place?
> 8. VS will then ask to reload the newly generated VS-project files for all
> the CUDA VS-projects (libraries) in the solution.
> 9. I hit yes and the project is being built.
> 10. When trying to start the application, VS will prompt me to reload the
> VS-project files again, as in step 8.
> 11. I hit yes again, but this time VS just says:
> 1>------ Skipped Build: Project: PACKAGE, Configuration: Release Win32
> ------
> 1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
> 2>------ Skipped Build: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Release Win32
> ------
> 2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
> ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 7 up-to-date, 2 skipped ==========
>
> The problem only occurs with CUDA and VS from what I know.
> My main question is, why is there a Reconfiguration and Regeneration in
> step 7, and how can I avoid it? There should be no need for it, since step
> 3 should assure that the project files are fresh. Also why did it build
> smoothly in Debug (step 5), but not Release (step 6)?
> Also, what does the second Regenerate in step 11 mean?
>
> My guess is, that step 7 is somehow caused by Debug and Release sharing
> the same CUDA ".depend" and ".cmake" files in the CMakeFiles subdirectory
> of
> each CUDA VS-project. But how exactly, and how could I fix that?
>
> Thank you and Best Regards,
>  Patrick

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Ryan Pavlik