[CMake] How to assign version numbers from a source header to CMake variables?

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 12 05:45:12 EST 2011

Hello,

I would like the add the CMake approach for software generation to a project. My
project example supports also other build tools.
This has got consequences on the way how informations like version numbers are
shared between these approaches.

The CMake tutorial describes components for the desired solution (in the section
"Adding a Version Number and Configured Header File").
http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake_tutorial.html

I imagine to add a specific header file that will contain the shared data in the
format of the source programming language. This will be a few C/C++ preprocessor
definitions.
Now I would like to know how to get these informations into CMake variables for
further reuse. I would appreciate your advices.

Regards,
Markus