[CMake] Possible bug in XCode backend and proposed workarounds

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:42:57 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 05:47 PM, Samuel Crow wrote:

> [...]

Ok, then this needs more investigation. I still suspect the problem is
in the CMakeLists.txt, but not in an obvious way.

>>> 2.  The install target  failed to put a sudo -A in front of it.  This is
>> required
>>
>>> even  when logged in as administrator on the Mac.
>>
>> Do you really want to install  into the system from Xcode??? Do normal
>> Xcode projects allow this (I never  tried, and probably never will)?
>> Would this even be desirable?
>>
>> The  proper thing to do would be to build a package, and then install
>> that into  the system.
>>

> In LLVM, targets are defined for every Makefile-style target.  This is useful
> when installing debug builds into the system for use with all of the other
> software that uses LLVM.  Again, if there are issues with the way that you'd
> have to ask Óscar Fuentes.  I suspect that the problem is that he was migrating
> from an Autotools environment and desired to do so with minimum disruption to
> the rest of the people that still use the Autotools install scripts.

No, what I meant is whether it is desirable to be able to install into
the system "from within Xcode", that's all.

>>> 3.  Since there is no console input source  available in XCode, a small
>>> executable was needed to accept the  password and echo it to stdout for the
>> sudo
>>
>>> -A flag to use.  I've  written such a requester box code in Qt and would be
>>> willing to share  with the CMake team if desired.
>>
>> Wouldn't that be easier with a small  applescript (subject to my
>> reservations from 2.)?
>>

> It would be if I knew the slightest amount of AppleScript.  As it was, the
> choices I was aware of were Apple's Interface Builder and Objective C (which I
> don't know); and Qt and C++ (which I do know).

Fine with me; I always hated AppleScript. Descipable, incomprehensible
language...

Michael