[CMake] "make test" to run tests in parallel in CMake 2.8?

Chris Green greenc at fnal.gov
Mon Feb 28 09:03:17 EST 2011

Hi,

I would have expected this naively to be a FAQ already, but the almighty
G****e wasn't particularly helpful. If I *have* missed the answer
somehow, please accept my apologies and I'd appreciate a brief pointer
to the right place to find it:

I'm investigating upgrading our build system from CMake 2.6.4 to 2.8.4
for (among other things) its touted ability to run tests in parallel.
Indeed, "ctest -j12" on an 8-way machine works just fine. However, I
seem to be unable to find a way to invoke this behavior from make: "make
-j12 test" is apparently just, "make test" with more typing.

Is there some CMAKE variable I should have provided to enable this
behavior, something else I should have done? Or is parallel test
behavior just not available without invoking ctest explicitly? If this
is the case, is something planned for future releases?

Thanks for your help and time,

Chris Green.