[CMake] Cross-compiling: Cmake compiler and ABI check don´t work / TRY_COMPILE and EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX problem

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Feb 21 16:21:42 EST 2011

On Monday 21 February 2011, Schmid Alexander wrote:
> I did some tests and from my point of view you are right - I do not have to
> set it at all. But, nevertheless, the problem stays.
> The crosscompiling toolchain produces binary files with .out suffix, and
> for me it seems that the the TRY_COMPILE macro does not recognize this file
> as the result of the building step. Can you please give me some help what I
> can do to get it working?

This suffix should be set by the platform file.
Modules/CMakeSystemSpecificInformation.cmake includes
CMakeGenericSystem.cmake, which sets it to "". That's what you see.

Then it includes Platform/${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}, which is
Platform/Generic.cmake. This file does not change the suffix, so it stays
empty for you.

If you need a different suffix, you probably have to come up with a name for
your platform and provide a platform file for it, which sets the name.

Alex