[CMake] Gyp VS CMake

j s j.s4403 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:48:06 EST 2011

Hello,

There is nothing wrong with another build system.  Not all build systems fit
everyone needs, much like subversion and git being suitable for different
development styles.

When I have the time, I will start developing my own build system.  It will
have the following proposed features.

1. Dependency generation by the compiler, so that the include generator
understands the c-preprocessor.
2. Tcl (or other) scripting language, which has clearly defined variable
scoping rules and well understood semantics.
3. Ability to generate object files and use the same ones in multiple
contexts.
4. Ninja generator or built in backend instead of per platform native
backends.

I've gotten the impression from the Cmake mailing list the first 3 are not
being planned for CMake.

Juan