[CMake] 2.8.4 order of tests

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 17 16:21:54 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Allen D Byrne <byrn at hdfgroup.org> wrote:
> This was from a clean build folder. And I just want the test to run in the
> order defined in the CMakeLists.txt files. Also never had set any COST
> properties. The surprise was that this never happened before.
>
> Allen
>
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:08 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Delete the file "Testing/Temporary/CTestCostData.txt" in your build
>
>> > tree. It saves run times from run to run and orders them as "slowest
>
>> > first" on subsequent runs.
>

>> > A clean build (no CostData file) without any parallel testing, and
>
>> > without any test COST properties defined should give you the top to
>
>> > bottom ordering that you're used to.
>

>> > Saving this data from run to run helps us schedule parallel testing
>
>> > jobs efficiently on subsequent runs.
>

>> > HTH,
>
>> > David
>

>> Having said all that: if your goal is to order certain tests with
>
>> respect to each other, see the help for the test property "DEPENDS":
>
>> http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_test:DEPENDS

So there is no "Testing/Temporary/CTestCostData.txt" file at the time
you call "ctest -D Experimental"?

Can you point me to a source tree that I can build that demonstrates
this behavior?

If you are not running tests in parallel and you have no "cost data"
(in the form of a cached file or properties set) then the tests should
run in the same top-to-bottom order that they always have.

Thx,
David