[CMake] Gyp VS CMake

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Thu Feb 17 12:24:55 EST 2011

Why did we skip point number 4. This was the biggest part of the CMake
build system I made for my team. And I believe I borrowed a bit from the
boost CMake adaption, so perhaps they have the same problem.

Instead of using a built in feature to accomplish this I have numerous
macros and functions which define and accumulate the actual dependencies
between libraries and executables. When I say a library depends on another
library I need more than a build order and a link option added. I need the
include directories too. Ever sense I started working with CMake I've been
fighting with its "single top level view of the project." I finally got it
so that I each library and executable knew about what it depended on and
each could be built stand-alone. I just don't think a large project lends
itself to the monolithic CMake approach.

Don't get me wrong, I was able to use CMake to solve its own short coming,
so I like it, but it's almost like I needed a CMake generator. I almost
wrote a python or perl script that would generate the CMake files, because
of all the scripting I was doing in CMake. I don't need another scripting
language.

---
Aaron Wright