[CMake] Gyp VS CMake

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 03:15:34 EST 2011

HI everybody,

I'm sure some of you are already aware of the Gyp project (at least
Bill since he responded on this thread):

http://www.mail-archive.com/webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org/msg11029.html

I think there are many good ideas/improvements/inspiration that should
be taken into account to drive future development of CMake.

In particular, I am thinking about point 2, 5 and maybe 3 of the first
part of the post.

In general, I am wondering why the Gyp's staff decided to start Gyp
instead of improving CMake by submitting patches whereas they "had
even started a speculative port" (as mentioned at the beginning of the
post). Since the time I know CMake, this community have always
welcomed improvements and patches in order to support large projects
such as KDE and Boost, so why not for Chrome/Webkit.

That being said, I feel sad to see other CMake's like projects started
instead of contributing.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Desprès