[CMake] Ninja: a small build system closest in spirit to Make

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Sat Feb 12 08:15:12 EST 2011

I forked the original ninja project on my github and cmake'ified it.

It successfully compile on linux [ubuntu 10.04, g++ (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
4.4.3]

Note that both In and Out-of-source built are handled properly.

See https://github.com/jcfr/ninja topic branch:
cmakeified-project<https://github.com/jcfr/ninja/tree/cmakeified-project>

git clone git://github.com/jcfr/ninja.git
mkdir ninja-build
cd ninja-build
cmake ../ninja && make

I also added the option BUILD_TESTING, by default enabled.

Running ctest, a test named "LongSlowBuild" will proceed.
This test invoke the following command:
  ninja -f <SRC>/misc/long-slow-build.ninja all

The associated dashboard is available on my.cdash.org.
See http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=ninja

I submitted some experimentals dashboards ...
  - Linux: build and test
pass<http://my.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=155929>
  - Windows: doesn't compile. See
http://my.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=155950

... and also setup a nightly for both windows and linux. (Template dashboard
script here<https://github.com/jcfr/DashboardScripts/blob/master/ninja-dashboard.TEMPLATE.cmake>
)

Note that I fix some of the windows error. Changes are in the topic
fix-windows-build <https://github.com/jcfr/ninja/tree/fix-windows-build> of
github.com:jcfr/ninja.git

Most of the remaining errors are listed here:
http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=156132

Thks
Jc

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Clifford Yapp <cliffyapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> We could start with the CMakeLists.txt file :-).
>
> It doesn't want to do an out of source dir build either, have to see why...
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I tried compiling it on Windows yesterday with just the following
> > CMakeLists.txt file, and there were a bunch of compile errors. It
> shouldn't
> > be too hard to make it work on Windows, though, if Mr. Martin will accept
> > some patches for it... :-)
> >

> > cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
> > project(ninja)
> >
> > set(ninja_lib_sources
> >   src/build.cc
> >   src/build_log.cc
> >   src/eval_env.cc
> >   src/graph.cc
> >   src/parsers.cc
> >   src/subprocess.cc
> >   src/util.cc
> >   src/ninja_jumble.cc
> > )
> > add_library(ninjaLib STATIC ${ninja_lib_sources})
> >
> > add_executable(ninja src/ninja.cc)
> > target_link_libraries(ninja ninjaLib)
> >

> > Cheers,
> > David