[CMake] Automatic out of source build's possible?

Martin O'Brien martin.matthew.obrien at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 04:20:25 EST 2011

I've resisted the urge to patch, since I really don't want to be dependent
on a custom version of CMake.

As far as how many people would like it, I don't know, but my guess would be
that most who were more familiar with configure or really anything that
Getopt long-ish than CMake would probably find it more familiar.

What I've done in the past in a few cases where people complained mightily
(as well as pretty unreasonably, as this is hardly end of the world) was:

-DCONFIGOPTS="--enable-<whatever> --verbose --debug..."

AND/OR

-DCONFIGOPTSFILE=<somefile which contained options, one per line>

And then parse that/those (using a cmake module).  Very ugly, but they could
usually handle that with much less complaining, and it also prevented
potential conflicts with cmake '--' options.

mm