[CMake] cmake, git and submodules

Johan Björk phb at spotify.com
Tue Feb 1 04:23:54 EST 2011

Hey everyone,

This will be a really, really vague question.

I'm using ctest scripts to run automated dashboards on all my
platforms. My git repository contains quite a few submodules, which I
believe is related.

At some point, ranging from almost instantly to after a few days,
files starts getting removed from the checked out dashboard copy.
Looking at the dashboard history it runs fine until something triggers
the error, and then it starts removing a few files every build
(?????).

I am pretty certain it is not my buildsystem that starts removing
files, and my current guess is that there is some weird interaction
between submodules and git+ctest.

This is a really longshot, but has anyone seen anything even remotely similar?

The relevant git variables are the following in my ctest file:
  if(NOT EXISTS "${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY}")
    set(CTEST_CHECKOUT_COMMAND "\"${CTEST_GIT_COMMAND}\" clone
git at git.spotify.net:${REPOSITORY} \"${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY}\"
--branch ${BRANCH} --recursive")
  else()
        unset(CTEST_CHECKOUT_COMMAND)
  endif()
  set(CTEST_UPDATE_COMMAND "${CTEST_GIT_COMMAND}")

Thanks in advance
/Johan (who is extremely confused)