[CMake] Possiblity to speedup the build by compiling multiple files in one compiler invocation

Verweij, Arjen VerweijA at tass-safe.com
Wed Apr 27 05:38:16 EDT 2011

Is this of use to you?

http://www.gmixer.com/archives/46/comment-page-1#comment-320

Regards,
Arjen

From: cmake-bounces at cmake.org [mailto:cmake-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf Of Martin Nielsen
Sent: dinsdag 26 april 2011 15:11
To: cmake at cmake.org
Subject: [CMake] Possiblity to speedup the build by compiling multiple files in one compiler invocation

Hi,

I have been asked to look into the possibilities of compiling multiple files in one invocation of the compiler like:

armcc.exe ... file1.c file2.c ... fileN.c -o mylib.lib

The cross compiler we are using requires a license in order to compile the file. It is a network floating license mechanism and the majority of the time it take to build the code is spent on acquiring the license. Parallel build is sadly not an option either since it just requests multiple licenses and we quickly run out.

I was wondering if CMake could be directed to somehow do this? or it would break some dependency between the source files and the generation of the library.

I suspect it isn't possible but would like to confirm this or explore other ideas on how to get around this problem.

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Martin Nielsen