[CMake] How to specify -fpic ?

David Aldrich David.Aldrich at EU.NEC.COM
Thu Sep 30 07:05:45 EDT 2010

Hi

Ok, by following the link to the wiki suggested by Michael Loose, I used:

target_link_libraries( myProj -Wl,-whole-archive Kernel -Wl,-no-whole-archive)

This has fixed my problem. The executable links and runs correctly.

My link command is now:

/usr/bin/c++   -O3 -DNDEBUG -Wall -m64  -Wl,--export-dynamic   -o myProj -Wl,-whole-archive Kernel/libKernel.a -Wl,-no-whole-archive -ldl -lpython2.4

I don't need portability so I think this is ok.

Michael Wild wrote:

> The -whole-archive flag is pretty useless with executables
> (unless, you plan to use it as a library too, but that is
> outlandish). --export-dynamic may be also necessary, if
> your dlopen'ed libraries use symbols in your executable.

So my concern is now: am I being 'outlandish' ?  The dlopen'ed libraries do use functions in libKernel.a that is linked to the executable. Is this outlandish? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help so far.

Best regards

David