[CMake] Complete beginner question about tutorial

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Tue Sep 7 08:10:51 EDT 2010

Am Tuesday 07 September 2010 schrieb David Aldrich:
> Hi
>
> I want to run the CMake tutorial
> (http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake_tutorial.html).
>
> The tutorial appears not to show the CMake commands necessary to build
> program. On Windows what command should I use to build the Tutorial
> executable with Visual C++ 2008?

You should create the programs with '-G "Visual Studio 9 2008"' to get a MSVC
solution file. Load that one and just let it build.

You could open a compiler console (Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 -> Tools -> x86 command prompt (or something like that)) and use
'-G "NMake Makefiles"'. Then you would run "nmake" from that command window to
build. You need to run cmake in that window or it will not be able to detect
the proper compiler settings for nmake otherwise.

Eike