[CMake] makefile to CMakeLists.txt, possible?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Fri Sep 3 15:19:28 EDT 2010

On Friday 03 September 2010, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I was just thinking about this the other day. One specialized area
> that would be helped by threads would be in some project configuration
> where we have CMake looking for about 20 different headers and another
> 20 or so types. Generally none of this is dependent on the other.
>    Something where I could have a
> "parallel_section()"/"end_parallel_section()" section where I could
> list all the tests and CMake could run them in parallel if the builder
> allows it or there are enough cpu resources available.
>    Just a thought.

Maybe really some parallel capability could be added specifically to the
try_compile() command.
Which calls cmMakefile::TryCompile(), which calls
cmGlobalGenerator::TryCompile(), which ends up in cmGlobalGenerator::Build(),
which finally calls

if (!cmSystemTools::RunSingleCommand(command, outputPtr,
                                       &retVal, 0, verbose, timeout))

Maybe just this one call could be put into threads somehow ?

Alex