[CMake] makefile to CMakeLists.txt, possible?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Sep 2 04:56:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:08, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ever timed "gcc -M" which is the usual approach to dependency-generation of hand-crafted Makefiles? THAT is slow. ;-)

It's also correct, which requires preprocessing all the headers.

gcc -MMD will do the same as a side-effect of the build so it's
basically free.  Tup generates this graph by tracing the system calls
made by the compiler, but it requires dynamic loading.  The problem
with these solutions is that they are not sufficiently portable, until
every compiler vendor supports -MMD, or ever potential build system
has dynamic loading, we have to live with a slow and inaccurate, or
very slow, method.

Jed