[CMake] makefile to CMakeLists.txt, possible?

Chris Hillery chillery-cmake at lambda.nu
Thu Sep 2 02:02:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Chiheng Xu <chiheng.xu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM,  <"\"Roman Wüger\"
> <norulez at me.com>"@mac.com> wrote:
> > CMake is a Makefile-Generator an nothing else
> >
> > Why would you write the Makefiles by yourself?
> >

> Perhaps some people don't like the time consuming invocation of CMake.
>
> Maybe CMake can generate relocatable Makefiles only containing
> relative paths for several major platforms,  and developers "cache"
> the generated relocatable Makefiles in version control systems.  Then
> builders don't need to invoke CMake.

That's technically possible, but I feel sure it would introduce far more
problems than it would solve.

It would also rather spectacularly miss the point of CMake. You could
equally well say "Maybe gcc could generate assembly code for several major
platforms, and then you could store the generated assembly files in version
control..."

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery