[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) yselkowitz at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 26 21:58:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 17:53 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Backwards compatibility may not be important to you, but to CMake it is
> very important.  When a developer chooses to use CMake, I want to
> respect that choice, and work as hard as I can to make sure I don't
> break that code.   CMake has been doing this for 10 years on cygwin,
> wrong or right that is how it has been done.   If there is code that
> builds with CMake on cygwin today, your suggested change will break that
> build.

No, it will most likely *fix* it.

> The policy mechanism might not be ideal but in a year or so, all of this
> would go away, and the meantime the patches you have to maintain for
> cygwin ports would become trivial.  The patch would basically have a set
> cmake version at the top.

I've already waited most of a year for this to be considered, and
nothing has yet to be done; we're not interested in waiting another year
or more for packages to build OOTB.

> I thought the command line option was a nice compromise.

It's prone to errors or misconceptions, particularly if the default
would be off (as you seem to imply).

Bottom line: we insist that the CMake in the Cygwin distro not define
WIN32.  If you're prepared to handle that upstream now, great.  If not,
we will need to ship a patched version until this issue is rectified.
How do you wish to proceed?

Yaakov
Cygwin Ports