[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Marco Atzeri marco_atzeri at yahoo.it
Sun Oct 24 05:03:17 EDT 2010

--- Dom 24/10/10, Hendrik Sattler  ha scritto:

> Am Sonntag 24 Oktober 2010, 08:37:30
> schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> > It should be changed. That will be the cleanest way
> for porting and
> > most of the time we will not need any IF (CYGWIN) to
> complete our job
> > as package maintainer.
> >
> > Othewise we should patch any sources to replace IF
> (WIN32) with
> > IF(WIN32 AND NOT CYGWIN) and these means that this
> wrong policy
> > is forcing unneeded workload on our backs.
> >
> > Also cmake and vtk sources are full of IF(WIN32 AND
> NOT CYGWIN)
> > because WIN32 and CYGWIN are in strong contrast.
>
> No, they are not. There are certain things in cygwin that
> are so WIN32 like.
> I have the following in my CMakeLists for OpenOBEX:

I do not see openobex as a package ported to cygwin
http://cygwin.com/packages/

> if ( CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC )
>   if ( UNIX AND NOT WIN32 )
>     set ( COMPILER_FLAG_VISIBILITY
> -fvisibility=hidden )
>     check_c_compiler_flag (
> ${COMPILER_FLAG_VISIBILITY}
>

> COMPILER_SUPPORT_VISIBILITY )
>   endif ( UNIX AND NOT WIN32 )
> [...]
>
> because on WIN32, the DLLEXPORT is used instead. So your

on cygwin DLLEXPORT is handled directly by the compiler gcc.
There is no need of a special handling on top of Unix one
for a true cygwin package.

> proposal really
> breaks working setups while trying to fix it for those
> upstreams that cannot
> read documentation? That sucks.
>
> And: believe it or not, WIN32 and CYGWIN are _not_ in
> strong contrast. They've
> got so much in common, starting from the binary file format
> to all low level
> stuff that cygwin is never going to change. Live with it.

sorry no. We work very hard to make cygwin as mach as possible
unix compatible and break the un-needed win32 heritage and
mis-understandings of what cygwin is.
I am cygwin package mantainer for 14 packages, and Yaakov handle
almost a third of all cygwin packages.
(see http://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint)
So I presume we have a better idea of you about what means porting
any package to cygwin as effort.

> HS

Marco