[CMake] ExternalProject_Add + issues with env & auto-conf.

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Oct 20 10:03:58 EDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 9:29 AM, Tim St. Clair wrote:

> when using ExternalProject_Add with hand built version of cmake 2.8.2
> seems to have a series of issues with auto tools relating to the env,
> the afore mentioned example is a direct repo.  Where it will fail in
> RHEL 5.5 re-running aclocal (when I don't believe it should run at
> all)

OK, this is the tar issue I mentioned that is fixed in 2.8.3.

>> 1. Where did the binaries come from (i.e. cmake.org, some distro?)
> cmake.org
>
>> 2. Does the hand build 2.8.2 work?
> yes, except for the above issue.
You say the hand built 2.8.2 has the above issue.  However, the binaries
from cmake.org work.  It is sort of a random issue that causes the
problem.   As the files are untared they get the current time stamp.
The re-running of autoconf is done when some files are out of date
compared to some other files.   So, perhaps the pre-built binaries are
slower or faster and the timing is different.

Anyway, 2.8.2 will not work reliably with untar because of this issue.

As Dave Cole said:
For 2.8.1 and earlier the problem did not exist.
For 2.8.2, the problem did exist.
It should be fixed again in 2.8.3-rc2 and later.

The fact that it works with 2.8.2 binaries from cmake.org is just
good/bad luck depending on how you look at it...   This is a known issue
that is fixed now.  Please try 2.8.3 rc2 binary and from source to
confirm that the fix works for you.

Thanks.

-Bill