[CMake] CMake rebuilding too much

Thomas Sondergaard ts at medical-insight.com
Tue Oct 12 07:07:43 EDT 2010

On 07-10-2010 14:46, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> You are going to have to give more information or a small example that
> shows the problem. It should not be doing that. You could try running
> make -d to figure out why make is thinking it needs to do that.
>
> -Bill

I found the problem. I had the following in my top-level CMakeLists.txt:

if(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX)
   SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual
-Wno-unknown-pragmas -Werror" CACHE STRING "Flags used by the compiler
during all build types." FORCE)
endif()

I don't know why I had the FORCE in there, but it caused the warning
flags above to be appended again whenever a CMakeLists.txt file was
touched. Removing FORCE fixed it.

Thanks,

Thomas