[CMake] BundleUtilities

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:46:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
> I tool a little different approach in my own projects. I end up
> "configuring" a shell script that gets run at install time (OS X Only).
> Inside that shell script are all the copying to the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX,
> ensuring destination directories inside the OS X App bundle are setup
> (Plugins, libs, Frameworks) and then finally calling the BundleUtilities to
> copy all the dependent libraries and plugins into the App bundle and
> "fixing" the install_name embedded in each library so that they point to
> libraries inside the bundle. For Qt projects I also make sure a blank
> qt.conf file and qtmenu.nib file are properly copied into the bundle.
>
>  There are some "dark" issues when it comes to plugins. The basic
> BundleUtilities will look for files that end with .dylib (on OS X) and copy
> those to the "lib" directory and frameworks into the Framework directory.
> The issue for me was when I had plugins with .dylib file extensions these
> would always be copied into the wrong directory. I had to make sure I used a
> set properties to set the file extension of my own plugins to .plugin so I
> had a guaranteed way to tell the difference between a support library that
> should go into "lib" and a plugin that should get copied into Plugins. One
> form of this can be found at
> <http://scm.bluequartz.net/support-libraries/cmp/blobs/master/OSX_Tools/CompleteBundle.cmake.in>
>  There may be some Qt specific lines in the file and it is OS X specific.
> Also note that you can over-ride some of the BundleUtilities commands in
> order to implement variations that suit your own needs.

> Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net

David C. -

Is what Mike is doing here a work around or is this how
BundleUtilities is intended to be used?

I was *hoping* for something more along the lines of simply:

INSTALL(Qt)
INSTALL(VTK)

Those two lines would include everything necessary from Qt and VTK in
your project so you can hand someone without those tools your code and
it will run.

Is this the goal and it is just not that easy (yet)? Or I am missing something?

David D.