[CMake] "the input line is too long" error after upgrading from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Nov 15 17:56:59 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On 11/15/2010 1:36 PM, Dieter Oberkofler wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm having a hard time to understand why after upgrading from CMake 2.8.2
>>> 2.8.3 I get "the input line is too long" when running nmake.
>>> The problem must be related to the upgrade because moving back to 6.8.2
>>> with
>>> the absolute same build environment works like a charm.
>>> The error message seems to generated by a rather long (about 500
>>> characters)
>>> command in a ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND section.
>>>
>>> Did someone else have this kind of problem?
>>
>> You seem to be the first.
>>>
>>> Is it a known bug?
>>
>> No.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to track this down or if there are any workarounds?
>>>
>> Time machine, and have you try one of the many release candidates, and get
>> this fixed before the release...  :)
>>
>> Assuming that can not be done, please create a bug entry in mantis, and try
>> to create a small reproducible example of the problem.
>>
>> -Bill

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

> Maybe related to this bug fix ??
>
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=269a4b876a34483c5cb664499dc6b1634fa453ff
>
> We prepend "echo >nul && " to every command line that begins with a
> double quote to fix the bug... Which should be a no-op. But not if it
> pushes a long command line over the limit.
>
> I wonder if it goes away if you use a build tree with a
> 13-character-shorter path name. (Or if it would appear in the previous
> CMake if you use a build tree with a 13-character-longer path name.)
>
> Or if it's actually something else. I'm just guessing here...
>
> Could you do a simple test and see if it goes away if you use a
> shorter (by 13 or more characters) name for your build tree?
>
> HTH,
> David

And could you please share your project with us? Or a minimal repro
case? Or ..... how we can reproduce the problem here, even if it's not
"minimal"?

If so, please add the repro info to the bug report:

Also, if you can re-build CMake yourself, try reversing the effects of
this commit and see if it "fixes" your issue....
http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=269a4b876a34483c5cb664499dc6b1634fa453ff

Thanks,
David