[CMake] Flags when building objects or a target

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Tue Nov 2 02:23:59 EDT 2010

Am Tuesday 02 November 2010 schrieb mina adel:
> Hi

Please don't start a new discussion by replying to an old one. This completely
breaks threading.

> I have a problem when cmake builds the objects for shared library.
>
> I have the following in my cmaklists.txt
>
> set(SIMULATOR_SOURCES circuit.cc matrix.cc plot.cc sources.cc
>     sparse.cc btzdense.cc element.cc util.cc parse.c
>     netlist_parse.y netlist_lex.l circuit_step.cc zmatrix.cc
>     hash_key.cc zsparse.cc zbtzdense.cc mtutil.cc)
>
> add_library(simulator SHARED ${SIMULATOR_SOURCES})
>
> set_target_properties(simulator PROPERTIES LINK_FLAGS
> "-I../sparse-libs/include")
> target_link_libraries(simulator ${LIBS} "models/libmodels.a
> ../sparse-libs/libsparse.a")

You shouldn't add the libraries quoted as a single string here I thing. And if
you have build those by your project then simply add their target names:

target_link_libraries(simulator ${LIBS} models sparse)

> However, target_link_libraries does not include the flags when building the
> objects. it only does when building the library. And I do not want to add
> (-I../sparse-libs/include) for all my objects.

I don't think adding relative paths is a good idea. You should add something
like ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/../sparse-libs/include. The destination
directory would otherwise depend on the subdirectory the target is located in.

If you do INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES() in one subdir it will not populate upwards,
i.e. only this subdirectory and those included with ADD_SUBDIRECTORY() in this
CMakeLists.txt after the INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES() call will get this.

Eike