No subject

Thu May 27 11:52:52 EDT 2010

A) Put all the components in a single archive with some hierarchical
structure inside
    i.e. build a TGZ   whose structure may be;
      toplevel-name/component1/...
                          /component2/...
      etc...

B) Build as many files as components.
     toplevel-name-component1.tgz
     toplevel-name-component2.tgz
     toplevel-name-component3.tgz

The scheme A) is not quite usable for RPM or DEB
but it is ok for "pure" archive like TBZ2 , TGZ, TZ,  ZIP.

My **personal** opinion is that for this kind of installers I'd rather
go for B).
The current problem with B) is that current  CPack architecture does
not authorize it see:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=3D10736

Like I said in another mail if we tackle the "multiple file problem" we sho=
uld
be able to solve the "naming convention problem" too, see:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=3D9900

So I would like those 2 bugs (9900, 10736)
solved, which would enable the may-be-easy creation
of full support for CPack COMPONENTs in any case (including bug 7645).

Please comment on those ideas or indicate whether if you agree with my
analysis or not.
Once we have some opinions ideas on this, I'll propose a new/updated
API for CPack generators
concerning this.

--=20
Erk
Membre de l'April - =AB promouvoir et d=E9fendre le logiciel libre =BB -
http://www.april.org